- Feels durable, stiff nylon, not the PVC coated junk.
The information on this pack is quite sparse, even at Rapid Dominance's web site. So here's what I found:
- Nice stiffener, feels good on my hips, hardly any weight on the shoulders.
- Shoulder strap and waist padding is very firm, not cushy at all. Not sure if I like that or not.
- Barely tall enough for me at 6'3". I let the shoulder straps out as far as they go. But when I do that, the shoulder strap padding is still well on my shoulders and the sternum strap is plenty low, unlike some other packs.
- Each zippered pocket (including the ones on the sides) has partitions which you could use for smaller flat items. None of the inner pockets are sized for a pen or multitool; the narrowest is maybe 3 in wide.
- Zippered mesh pockets inside the pack, that extend the width of the pack. Outer lower pocket has a 1" one; the main compartment has three, the shortest of which is maybe 6"; top outer pocket has about a 3".
- Sunglass compartment at top.
- Has *two* large lower back pockets, one stacked next on top of the other, with half the thickness. (You can barely see that in the picture.)
- PALS webbing on the bottom, and it comes with two straps in the webbing to hold a sleeping bag.
- Two places you could store a laptop: hydration compartment in the back, which has its own zipper; or a padded compartment inside the main compartment with a velcro strap to hold a computer in place.
- Waist belt has PALS webbing.
- Only 1" thick straps for the shoulders and 1.5" straps for the waist belt. That seems a little thin to me. Buckle on waist belt was missing a catch (maybe mine was defective) so it wouldn't stay tight. After some swearing, I fixed it swiping the necessary hardware from an shoulder strap from an old laptop case.
- All straps, including the compression straps, have an elastic band around them so you can tuck away the excess length and not have it flapping around. There's also a similar elastic cover around the shoulder straps right where the buckle goes, I guess to prevent anything from accidentally getting caught in the buckle.
- Zippers seemed tough to use and caught more than I expected. I hope this does not turn into a problem.
Rating this 4 stars because of the waist strap screwup and my initial impression of the zippers. Otherwise my initial impression is that it is an extremely nice pack.